Saturday, July 16, 2011

Moon planting experiment

I know very little about planting by the moon, except for avoiding any planting after a full moon for about a week. So I decided to conduct an experiment. I planted about 50 onions on the eve of the full moon (yesterday). You can't see them in the below peg because they're still so small. I also planted leek, coriander, parsley, lettuce, cabbage and kohlrabi in this patch.


And then today I planted 10 more onions in a nearby patch (between garlic and a green manure of broad beans and oats). The patch was prepared in the same way as yesterday's. I only planted 10 here though because I don't want to waste the seedlings, or the ground space, in case they do badly.


Both plantings were with onions from the same company, they were the same size and of the same health when they went in. We'll wait for three months (I've set myself a reminder for the 15 October) and see what happens.


No comments: